- Meaning: Pyrite, often called "Fool's Gold," is associated with attracting wealth, abundance, and good luck due to its metallic gold-like appearance.
- Healing Properties: Believed to promote physical wellness, pyrite is said to support the circulatory and respiratory systems and protect against environmental pollutants.
- Protection: Pyrite is often utilized in spiritual practices as a shield, believed to block out negative energy and protect the user from physical danger.
- Usage: People use pyrite in various ways, such as in jewelry for its aesthetic and metaphysical properties, and in meditation or spiritual work to enhance clarity and focus.
- Care: To care for pyrite, it’s advisable to keep it dry and clean it gently, as it can tarnish or corrode when exposed to moisture or harsh chemicals.
What is Pyrite?
Pyrite is an iron sulfide mineral with a metallic luster. It has and a brassy coloring that is similar to gold, because of this resemblance it is also known by the name Fools Gold. It comes from the cubic crystal system and has an opaque transparency and a brittle texture. Pyrite's meaning is purity and unblocks creativity.
Take a look at our essential guide to healing gemstones and find a crystal that captures you.
Anything but a Fool's Gold
- Takes it's name from the Greek word for fire
- Mined in Namibia, Peru, Spain, Mexico, and Canada
- A protective stone good for blocking EMFs
Not all that glimmers is gold as Pyrite proves with its precious hues and potent protective properties. Pyrite meaning comes from the Greek word for Pyr, which translates to fire – an echo of how the light catches on the surface of the stone, or perhaps in testament to the strong masculine energy and sense of perfect passion.
Despite its illustrious name, Pyrite is actually an earth stone rich in iron sulfide – hewn from the far reaches of Namibia, the mystical heartlands of Peru, the golden mountains of Spain and Mexico, and the icy distances of Canada. With shades of pale brass or a richer gold color, Pyrite is a pretty stone that holds its own when it comes to a dazzling metallic luster. In homage to its name, it’s one of the only healing crystals that can also strike sparks If struck hard enough and has a similar look and feel to it as Marcasite. Pyrite has earnt the nickname Fools Gold, thanks to its visually striking similar appearance to the precious metal. But far from foolish, anyone who holds Pyrite close to their heart will find their personal powers are multiplied.
At its heart, Pyrite is all about protection. It’s a stone that wants to shield and protect its wearer in every way possible. Whether keeping you safe from emotional vamps or protecting you from psychic attacks, cutting through negative vibrations, clearing EMF smog or simply stopping those toxic thought patterns from running through your head, Pyrite is ever eager to keep you pure. When we are able to free ourselves of those toxic ties, we find that life loses its facades and we are able to see straight through to the truth and live in sweet authenticity. If you want to know more about the healing powers and protective properties of Pyrite keep reading.
If Pyrite doesn’t strike a fire in your heart, find a stone that moves you. Check out our Guide to Essential Healing Gemstones and pick a crystal that calls to your soul.