- Meaning: Selenite, named after the Greek goddess of the moon Selene, is renowned for its luminosity and is often associated with purity, peace, and higher consciousness.
- Healing Properties: The crystal is believed to have the power to cleanse and charge other crystals, clear blockages in your energy field, and direct high-frequency energy into the body, promoting spiritual growth and mental clarity.
- Protection: Selenite is touted as a protective stone that shields a person or space from outside influences and is especially useful for warding off harmful spirits and providing a safe, peaceful environment.
- Usage: It can be utilized in various ways, such as in meditation to connect with one's guides, as a wand to clear energy fields, or placed around the home to foster a peaceful atmosphere and protect against negative energy.
- Care: Selenite is a soft and delicate crystal that should be kept dry and cleansed energetically, rather than with water, to maintain its integrity and vibrational properties.
What is Selenite?
Selenite is a variety of the gypsum mineral. It also comes in varieties known as desert rose, satin spar and gypsum flower. Selenite is formed from calcium sulfate dihydrate and is a monoclinic crystal. It comes in pale shades of pearly white with a clay like texture. Selenite has a meaning of clarity and consciousness.
Take a look at our essential guide to healing gemstones and find a crystal that captures you.
The Gemstone of Purification
- Known as the goddess stone
- Named after the Greek goddess of the moon
- Good for shifting energy blocks
With a coloring as pale as the flutter of angel wings, the Selenite Stone is awash in otherworldly wonder. Instantly soothing, Selenite has a long history of being a beloved goddess stone and is said to bring protection, harmony, and soul healing to your body, mind, and home. Selenite is said to be a crystallized form of Gypsum. It comes from Hydrous calcium sulfate and is a soft stone that seems almost malleable in nature – more feather than rock. As one of the softer stones, it can be a wonderful and vivid reminder that we should move through this world with a sense of gentleness and that we should bring sacred space to our practices.
Slabs of Selenite crystals have been found in places both high and low, from the Odyssey rich waters of Greece to artistic Mexico, Zen-like Japan, wild Argentina, and the party spirit of Brazil, it has also been found in the USA, Poland, Russia, and Australia – Selenite is a stone that seems to get around. Because of its worldly connection, Selenite pops up across history. Selenite’s meaning is married to the Ancient Greek goddess of the moon – Selene. Selene had the power to light up the night and had an ever-changing personality that seemed to ebb and flow. She was the daughter of Hyperion and Thea and depicted riding a horse or winged chariot with a lunar crescent as a crown upon her head.
The Selenite meaning makes it a highly spiritual stone and is often treated as such. Selenite wands can be popular for those who want to conduct energy, and the stones and gemstone jewelry containing Selenite are made to help us open up to higher frequencies and messages from the universe. On a more grounded level, Selenite can also be an amazing stone for shifting through energy blocks, bringing peace and purity to one’s head and heart, and generally just ensuring that you stay protected and connected to the world around you. To find out more about how to use Selenite keep reading.
If Selenite doesn’t cause your heart to skip a beat, find a stone that connects to your own soul. Check out our Essential Crystal Guide right here.